December 09, 2002 Copyright © by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- 1 Then afterward I will pour out my spirit upon all mankind. Your sons and daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions;
- Even upon the servants and the handmaids, in those days, I will pour out my spirit.
- And I will work wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood, fire, and columns of smoke;
- The sun will be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, At the coming of the Day of the LORD, the great and terrible day.
- Then everyone shall be rescued who calls on the name of the LORD; For on Mount Zion there shall be a remnant, as the LORD has said, And in Jerusalem survivors whom the LORD shall call.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
1  (Joel 3:1-5)I will pour out my spirit: In the Old Testament the spirit is the gift of God bestowed on those acting as his agents. The promise of the spirit is quoted by St. Peter in Acts 2:17-21 as fulfilled in an eminent way by the gift of the Holy Spirit, the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity, bestowed on the Apostles.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
USCCB Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000