December 09, 2002 Copyright © by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- 1 For the leader. On stringed instruments. A maskil of David,
- when the Ziphites came and said to Saul, "David is hiding among us."
- 2 O God, by your name save me. By your strength defend my cause.
- O God, hear my prayer. Listen to the words of my mouth.
- The arrogant have risen against me; the ruthless seek my life; they do not keep God before them. Selah
- God is present as my helper; the Lord sustains my life.
- Turn back the evil upon my foes; in your faithfulness, destroy them.
- Then I will offer you generous sacrifice and praise your gracious name, LORD,
- Because it has rescued me from every trouble, and my eyes look down on my foes.
Table of Contents Previous Chapter Next Chapter
1 [Psalm 54] A lament in which the person under attack calls directly upon God for help (Psalm 54:3-5). Refusing to despair, the psalmist hopes in God, who is active in history and just (Psalm 54:6-7). The psalm ends with a serene promise to return thanks (Psalm 54:7[8-9]).
2  By your name: one is present in one's name, hence God as revealed to humans.
New American Bible Copyright © 1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Inc., Washington, DC. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
USCCB Home Page New American Bible Home Page
New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000